Monday, April 13, 2009

Using Your Longest Weapon for Defense

I have a question for you. What is the longest weapon that you can use to defend yourself? Hint, they help you get from one place to another. If you guessed your legs, then you are right! Winner, winner, chicken dinner. So let's talk more about using your legs for defense as it pertains to taking a defensive stance.

As I tell my clients that train with me, a defensive stance is simply taking a step back, placing your hands up in a "stop" fashion and yelling, "get away from me, I don't know you!" Or something like that to draw attention to your situation. So now that you have done that, the bad guy decides to move closer to you. At this point, we want to take advantage of your knowledge of the human body and use your longest weapon(your legs) and kick the front of the knee to cause the person to stop in his or her tracks or cause distraction so you can flee the scene or call for help.

Does this make sense to you? If you have any questions, please leave me a comment. Or share this information with someone else. Let's start taking a more pro-active role when it comes to you self protection. Let me know if I can be of assistance. If you need a speaker for your next event and you want to do something different that will improve group dynamics, I would be happy to speak to your organization about self defense without fancy martial arts moves. Here is how to find me. Twitter, Linked in, Facebook, and My website.

Thanks for reading my blog.

No comments: